Sunday, October 11, 2015

TALKING TURKEYS



Thanksgiving means making the mandatory schlep to St. Lawrence Market to get assorted pieces of the bird. Since there are only two of us partaking, there is no need to cook an entire turkey so I get wings, drumsticks or breasts, whatever is on special.

And since it is the Saturday before the big bird day, it is more of a clusterfuck than usual. In preparation, I sharpen my elbows and dive in.

It has been picked over but the selection of poultry is not paltry. One fowl order rang in at $109! Now that’s one dinner where I don’t want to be doing clean-up.

This says beef more than bird but you gotta love the neon. When they are through with it, they should recycle it to a bar in Texas, land of mechanical bulls -- if they still exist.

Okay, it is not seasonal but who doesn’t love a hunk of kielbasa now and then? Kinda brings to mind my ex, who I used to call “my Sicilian sausage.” Look for the meat stall that has sausages at 11 for 10 bucks, and great ribs. We're here all weekend -- try the veal.

Rob, my wonder boy, describes me as “condiment queen” and St. Lawrence Market is my go-to for mustard -- specifically the Kozlik kiosk where they let you sample gazillion varieties of mustard on itsy bitsy pieces of pretzel. Add a beer and it’s happy hour.

I’m not hosting Thanksgiving dinner but if I were, I would be wearing this little die-dyed silk caftan number. It is currently the window dressing at Mad-dasH boutique on 92 Scollard, which looks like the closet of boho style icon Talitha Getty.


No comments:

Post a Comment