Wednesday, October 28, 2015

SHOPPING IN SLOW MO



Herewith: the further rollicking adventures of the Mighty Mo, Super Shopper. My pal Mo Gannon has her Chanel belt in shopping. She is based in Abu Dhabi which is not exactly slim pickings in high-end brand department but is sparse in vintage and one-of-a kind indie shops so Mo suggested we do an Ossington Street reconnaissance. We had a two-hour retail window and then intended to do a class at Quad Spin in the 'hood at King and Brant.

But first she wanted to do a drive-by at Gravity Pope to check out the shoes because her cute-as-hell pointy-toed Miu Miu black patent-leather kitten heel shoes were not made for walking. Oh, oh -- I knew we were in big trouble. Two hours for shoes and vintage? No way. The shoe department at Gravity Pope alone takes two hours to navigate.

I made the "Look of the Day" feature on the Zoomer site. Except it was so last year -- taken during the 2014 Fashion Week. I am wearing a man's cashmere coat with an Italian label I purchased at Goodwill in Oakville for $7. It cost me more to have it dry-cleaned. This is my frugalista version of the gold-standard cashmere camel coat from Max Mara, which rings in at a couple of grand.

This is a busking bagpiper at Queen and University. While we both appreciated the music, we liked the plaid kilt way better.
Upstairs at Gravity Pope I checked out the Marni rack. This linen maxi skirt is half price and looks much better in person. While in Rome recently, I’d intended to while away an afternoon blissfully drooling over the fall merch at the free-standing Marni store but it had moved. I spent five hours following false leads in 38 degree heat. No go. Just as well, I couldn’t afford the Euros anyway.


After Gravity Pope, we made a pit stop at Jonathan & Olivia, one of my fave shopping destinations, along with 290 Ion, Narwhal, Motion and COS and not necessarily in that order. Here is the winter version of the sandals I coveted last spring. They are pretty much for display only and are hideously expensive but if you are a size 7, go for it.
Here is the original summer model, which only came in a couple of small sizes as well so no sale. At Jonathan & Olivia, I bumped into actor/singer Rebecca Jenkins who is also a regular. “I bought these pants here,” she said, pointing to her graphic skinnies. Jenkins is in T.O. visiting. She moved to Vancouver a dozen years ago. Footnote: Jonathan & Olivia is the only local source of the über hot Paris-based Vetements line, which is king-sized but meant for women. I tried on a trench coat that was so oversized, it looked like the love child of Dick Tracy and David Bryne.

We actually did make it to one vintage store, I Miss You, where Mo had a brief flirtation with a gold-chainy Chanel belt but passed on it. She just wasn’t Coco about it.She is wearing a kick-butt pair of R13 jeans she bought at Jonathan & Olivia.
I heart this pair of Moschino heels at I Miss You but there are too vertiginous for me. My back hurt just looking at them. I made a later spin class; Mo didn't. But she did burn a lot of calories shopping.




No comments:

Post a Comment