Saturday, April 9, 2016

SAKS AND THE CITY

I came late to checking out the new Saks Fifth Avenue shop at the corner of Queen and Yonge sharing real estate with Hudson’s Bay. In the entrance, it’s Saks on the left and Bay on the right, the only differentiation to the casual onlooker is the extremely affable doorman at Saks.
 
If only that welcoming vibe extended past the door inside Saks. It is so high-end, I counted two security guards giving prospective shoppers stink eye. There was a Valentino display and expensive bling and pricey candles and I don’t know what else because it was too intimidating to register. They need to rethink the first floor and make it more customer-friendly. It is scaring everyone away. I didn’t see any Saks shopping bags during my brief reconnaissance.

Saks got this display right. It is very Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
 
I wanted every pair of shoes in this Marni grouping. Love love love Marni. It is the anti-Valentino. If I see any more of Valentino’s ubiquitous studded rock-star shoes I will hurl. Okay, I get that they had a huge success with that line but give it a rest already. Everyone has knocked it off including Payless.


I pawed through the sales rack at Topshop and scored a fabbo pinstriped tunic (I am a sucker for pinstripes) marked down to $40 from $110. How could I lose? I lusted after this polka dot coat from their runway line priced at $450. Yes, Topshop has pricey items. I will wait till it is on sale.


This display in the window of a floral shop stopped me in my tracks because the gentleman in the photo reminded me of iconic socialite hairdresser Robert Gage, squirrelled away in his country home.

I should sue for copyright infringement over this graffiti’ed utility box outside the Eaton Centre. Lipstick prints are my signature salutations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment