Monday, August 1, 2016

A GEM-BOREE

This weekend I visited my old pal and trusty California travelling companion Wendy Zelsman at her home in Lakefield, both to catch up and to collect the vintage leather Mickey Mouse Club stool I purchased last winter from the now defunct Circus “curious & unique home furnishings and antiques” shop in Peterborough. I had to schlep the stool home on the Go train but it made for a curious and unique accessory. And I am always curiously and uniquely accessorized.

After rolling out of bed on Friday, we trekked to Bancroft for the 53rd annual Bancroft Rockhound Gemboree housing Canada’s largest gem and mineral show spread over two vast buildings. We wandered around for over four hours until Wendy’s husband Howard read us the riot act and reminded us that their dog Comet back home could only cross his legs for so long.

There were tons of DIY supplies, including these silk tassels which have a multitude of uses, not only for stripper’s pasties.

I know that these pieces of quartz are dyed but the colours are so yummy.


A selection of peridots, which happen to be the August birthstone. In fact, a peridot was in a quasi-engagement ring of mine, not because it was my birthstone but because I liked the setting. The ring lasted longer than the relationship.

A display of Baltic amber, of which I have tons. My dad brought me back bags full from a return trip to Lithuania. These stones have bugs fossilized inside, making them all the more valuable. There is no yuck factor involved; they are quite dramatic.

This is an amazing Afghani silver disc, allegedly 150 years old, that Wendy especially lusted after. The vendor told us he would return home to remote villages, knock on doors and offer cash for antiques. It was a good story even if it may or may not be true.

Wendy posing thoughtfully in front of a friend’s fireplace that houses a decoy over her left shoulder that she has her eye on. I preferred the Zen head hanging on the mantel.

Me in my florals beating my way through the underpants in the jungles of Stoney Lake.

This is the perpetually-animated and terminally adorable Atticus, Wendy’s grandson, who is doing his best Baryshnikov while test-driving a tutu which I’d bought for his imminent baby sister, due next month.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment