Tuesday, January 12, 2016

REST IN PEACE, FROCK STAR

At a dinner party over the weekend, somehow the conversation drifted to the 2013 David Bowie retrospective at the AGO, specifically the iconic Union Jack jacket that Bowie collaborated on with the late Alexander McQueen. I lamented that I didn’t buy the version for sale at the AGO gift shop because it was priced around $400. My bad. When I saw it on a partygoer that summer, I almost ripped it off his back. I could have had a piece of history not just a fashion statement. 

Bowie died at age 69 on Monday and the tributes have been coming fast and furiously -- just as they should -- and I am piling on with mine.  We were far from BFFs but I did get to meet him once, after an Andrea Martin one-woman show. He and wife Iman had remained seated after the performance and I was introduced to them by the publicity person. They were a stunning couple; almost incandescent. I was not only taken aback by how much smaller they both seemed in the flesh (possibly because I was wearing vertiginous footwear) but how charming Bowie was, exuding an old-timey gallantry. 

Years later, I interviewed Iman in Ottawa during her stint on Project Runway Canada. She chaffed at being billeted in Ottawa but it was bearable because she got to go home on weekends to Bowie and their daughter Lexi.

This is a reasonable facsimile of the coveted Union Jack jacket that got away. Look for it to skyrocket on eBay.

A Chinoiserie jacket significantly less than $400 that I lusted after in a cool stall at the St. Lawrence Market’s  lower level at the end of food court. I didn’t jot the name down but will update next time I am there. The St. Lawrence Market online directory was useless.

Rob doing his best “kid in the candy store” pose at Domino Foods on the lower level at the other end from the clothing and accessories stalls. Domino is dangerous. They have the best bulk foods (way cheaper than Bulk Barn) including dark-chocolate-coated jujubes (I beg of you on bended knees deliver me from jujubes) and peanut butter infused pretzels.

Gotta love this Zoltzz Renfrew sign at the Ends bargain boutique in the Beach at 1930 Queen St. E. advertising their $1.99 sale. “Zoltzz” refers to Harold “Zoltzz” Weisfeld, owner of the shop.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed Commander Darkstar - we hail you in telling the world that love is the answer - arts & culture the scripture

    ReplyDelete