Friday, April 14, 2017

FOGO A GO GO


So I have been out and about in the spring drizzle doing nothing as fabulous as meeting Iris Apfel, but that is like seeing a unicorn twice. But meeting Fogo Island Inn founder Zita Cobb didn’t suck either -- two landmark women within several weeks! It is to plotz.

For the uninitiated, Fogo is the largest of the offshore islands in Newfoundland/Labrador and the trendiest/hottest travel destination. "Fogo Island is a salty Narnia," says Zita.


Me and the aforementioned Fogo Island Inn founder, social entrepreneur Zita Cobb at the Holt Renfrew reception on April 12 for their Fogo Island pop-up shop featuring such artisan goodies as hand-made quilts. Fogo Island is home to 2,400 people in 11 communities. Cobb grew up poor on Fogo but is making up for it. Her inn has a two-night minimum with rates starting at $1,545 Canadian with a three-night minimum in July and August. Too rich for my blood but there are B&Bs on the island.
 Bumped into Hans Gerhardt, genial former GM of Sutton Place Hotel (or the “Slutton” as we used to call it) and his gracious wife Helga at the party. Ahhh. We have such fond memories of the Slutton’s Loni Anderson/Burt Reynolds memorial suite and hearing Shelley Winters anecdotes from the hotel’s legendary butler Werner Jankowski, which got more colourful depending on the amount of champagne he consumed.

Yummy grilled octopus from Buster’s Sea Cove eatery at the seafood end of the St. Lawrence Market. We braved the cluster fuck on the day before Easter to get turkey parts and scarf down this dish, best octopus I’ve had since Greece.

When I went to university I hung out at pubs sipping flat draft beer (I hated beer and drank it through a straw fashioned from a piece of red licorice – I know, so wrong for so many reasons) in jeans and a shapeless T-shirt. So I was taken aback so to speak to spot this coed at the Duke pub on Prince Arthur in her backless black top. Kudos to her; I never could pull that look off.

Me at the Winners location at Bathurst and Lawrence, one of the best sources for Runway items. I am auditioning a Christian Dior black swing coat reduced from whatever to about $1,300 which is still undoable. A fellow shopper agreed. “Winners has to get over themselves charging that much.”

A close-up of the coat, which didn’t fit me but will be a good fit for someone in the Forest Hills neighbourhood. At least I had a Christian Dior on my back.

If my fellow shopper was outraged over the price tag on the Dior, she had a meltdown when I showed her this Etro man’s white cotton shirt with embellishment. It was marked at $399.99 “comparable at $680.00.” Seriously? Charging $700 for a white shirt with froufrou at the neck? It must be palatable in a parallel universe. In some galaxy Gene Roddenberry is smiling.

Me and fabbo femme around town Val Dooley celebrating her “fossil” birthday party on Sunday at Dora Keogh Pub on the Danforth. Val has undergone tons of iterations from restaurateur to realtor. I have known her since she had the fashion line Toots way back in the ‘80s when we were zygotes.

Me, writer Rosie Levine and photographer/image consultant Yanka Van der Kolk doing peace work at Val’s party.

Who doesn’t love a bargain? As I have always said, full price is for amateurs. So I was chuffed to get this perky pair of fuzzy slides almost free.
They are knockoffs of the hot ones from Prada which retail for about $450 a foot. Not gonna happen. So I checked the Nordstrom website and found reasonable facsimiles from knock-off czar Steve Madden going for a palatable $40 but they were sold out in the bold colour combo. Oh well. Then during a drive-by at the Winners Dundas Square location, I spotted these beauties that were knock-offs of Steve Madden by the Qupid label priced at $20. Gotta love it. Sold!!!!

I really didn’t need another hat; I’d have to be a multiple-headed hydra to wear all the ones I already have. But I sauntered into the BCBGMAXAZRIA  shop on Bloor Street because they were advertising a closing sale with up to 80-percent reductions.
How can a girl resist that siren song? I scored this 100-percent wool topper in an intoxicating moss green regularly priced at $110, reduced 50 percent then take off another 30 percent. Hello? I am so there.



1 comment:

  1. I love your flair Rita, and you certainly added that 'je ne sais quo' at the Fossil Birthday Bash - you fashionista You! Thank you for referencing it in your Absolutely Fabulous blog! Val

    ReplyDelete